Thursday, 14 May 2015

Oriental Fans Top

Simple top from New Look K6217, a free pattern from Sew magazine, which looks drab on the pattern envelope, fab in the magazine and somewhere in between on me!

I made this as a toile for a layered dress that I was making (still not finished, probably won't be, but that's a story for another day!)  and wanted to check the fit of. It's a simple, dartless top, which I made no adjustment to and just followed the instructions throughout.

It came out nice! Not sure that it's the most flattering thing I've ever worn, but I will wear it, and I love the fabric. It's a very soft, light cotton lawn that I purchased from Minerva Crafts last year. I did not know what I was going to do with it, so when this top came along it was a nice wee stash buster as well. Not that I have much of a stash to bust...!

I bought a metre of the fabric, so the top cost me £13.99 in all, which is not too bad!
overall, I think this was the best item I ever made at the time. It was technically nice, and I am still very proud of it. It's fully french seamed, and the neckline is finished with bias binding - the first time I ever did that. I did have issue doing the french seam round the curved underarms, so came up with a fairly novel approach, but if anyone has any tips on how I should have french-seamed that area please do share!

Overall I like it. It's relaxed, cool, and easy to wear. Nice simple top that I also enjoyed to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment